- Open Source refers to any program whose source code is available for use & we can modify it depends on thier needs….at free of cost.
- Open Source software is usually developed as a public colloboration & made freely available…
- Open Source is owned by “OPEN SOURCE INITIATIVE (OSI)“.
Terms of OSI :
- The S/W being distributed must be redistributed to anyone else without any Restrictions.
- The Source code must be made available.
How to make money with Open Source?
- Ask for donations.
- Include advertisements on your download page ( You can include Google Adwords as a quick way to get advertisers ).
- Create custom features for companies ( Many companies who use open source software require special features. Eg.Facebook Applications)
- Sell related software or hardware.
- Charge a maintenance fee.
- Charge a fee for commercial use.
- Gain job experience.
- MySQL is Open Source Software.